Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2012

Sleeping (#9 out of 100)

100 prompts in 100 days or less

She’s sick. Shivering in bed beside me. This is when it moves beyond
“the honeymoon” into Real Life. It’s not the 1st fight, it’s the first flu.
I can’t sleep, so I wrap another blanket over her, wrap my body around her for more warmth, even though she is so hot it’s making me sweat.
The light from the partially open curtains seeps into the room and I check the clock.
1:00 a.m. She shakes. Her head is sweaty.
I wish there was something more I could do for her than
just lay on top of her, shaking my head, smoothing the hair away from her clammy forehead.
She will not remember this in the morning, and I prepare myself to sleep again, rolling over to my other side, stare at the blank wall. Don’t sleep.

In the morning I wake and ready the kids for school. She told me she will call in to work, which meant that I got to stay in bed another half-hour, since I did not have to drive her to her office.
Her start time is 7:00 and that means I always lose a little sleep when she stays over because we set the alarms for 5:15 and 5:30 respectively.

Last night I worried for her. Slept so poorly next to her shivering/sweaty body. Wished I could take this away from her. But I know I cannot take away her illness no matter how many vitamin pills I give her to swallow or how many cups of tea I make. This is the part of love that is hard. Loving and giving even when you know what you are giving and doing isn’t having any physical effect.

It is worth it though, knowing that it may make her feel a bit better emotionally, to be taken care of. She keeps telling me that I am so good to her, when I run her a bath in the morning and sit with her, talking softly and pouring water over her naked thighs, giving her a soft pillow to lay her head on.

I drink my juice in the morning, make coffee, worry for her. Take the boy to school. Go to work and worry some more. Hope that she is feeling better. Wish I had gotten a little more sleep, my eyes are dry and burning. I wonder if her kiss of this morning will give me what she has, or if I already have it since we were kissing the day she came down with the fever.

It doesn’t matter. I know she will take care of me like I took care of her. She will get the boys ready for school. She will bring me juice and run me a bath. We take turns taking care of each other. This. This is the love that I feel when it moves beyond the honeymoon into the light of daily life, with all its struggles.

copyright 2012 Omy Keyes (all rights reserved)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment