Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Seven-Seven

The first time I laid eyes on you
I knew that fucking you would be poetry
The first time I brought you home
I knew I’d write you so many love poems
you’d run out of shoe boxes to put them in.
The first time you placed your lips on mine
I said “More.”
The first time my fingers found the soft hollow of you
I knew I’d found home.
The first time you let me into your heart
I wanted to let go of everything else so I could move in.
And I did.
You unfolded your welcome mat and said “I have a place for you here."
The first time you wrote me a haiku I was hooked.
The first time you tried to tell me you weren’t good enough for me
I called you a liar.
The first time you cried in my bed I licked your tears and held you gently.
The first time you let me see your vulnerability I was scared
but I did not back down,
I dove into the deep waters of you instead.


The time I left my marriage for you,
my hands were shaking as much as my heart.
My head said, “What the hell are you thinking?”
But my heart knew if I didn’t grab on and let you take me with you
I’d stay small and shrivel up
And I wanted to grow huge with you.
I knew that we’d grow like giants together.
Like the oversized vine that insists on growing in our backyard
I knew that I could not stop this.
I knew if I tried to rip it out of the ground
it would have left a gaping hole where my soul was supposed to be.
The first time I saw a scene from one of our past lives,
I thought I was going mad;
But you held onto me and you believed me.
The first time I dove into the pool of you I didn’t even make a splash.
It was like you’d been waiting for me,
like you knew I’d be coming if you just made a space for me.
The first time I put my whole fist in you, you heard God.
The first time our souls swam together I felt like I was breathing for the first time.
The first time you held my hand it was magic.
The first time I couldn’t not touch you I knew I wanted to double-negative with you
forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment